Hi, I am Dr. Shawna Freshwater
Sometimes, we feel like we are less than if guidance is needed. However, by caring for yourself, you are actually providing a valuable and compassionate service. It is about showing up for yourself, so you can be the healthiest you can be for yourself, your relationships, your profession, and Life. Psychotherapy is not just a treatment of psychiatric disorders, although you may arrive at that point if you don’t take care of your Mind-Body. I work with individuals who are ambitious, proactive, and motivated to make changes in their lives so they are living life joyfully and at peace.
My approach to therapy is multifaceted because You are multifaceted. My practice is integrated using proven “evidence based scientific therapeutic modalities“. I customize therapy based on your goals, current unique needs, and unique personality.
I provide a safe and supportive space to help you gain the clarity you need to understand how your past may have contributed to challenges and also shaped you into the unique person you are today. While insight is important, that is just the first step in empowering you with the skills you need to overcome current challenges and make necessary changes to improve your health and how you live your life.
I will help you learn skills that will address your most pressing needs and leverage your strengths. I will guide you to explore ways of reacting (thinking, emotions, behaviors) that may be preventing you from achieving optimal health and the success you deserve.
I offer psychotherapy, counseling, guidance, and support as you make practical and epic changes to improve your precious life. We will also work together through any resistance, roadblocks, or obstacles that may get in your way of performing at your peak. It is my goal your success.
About My Professional Background
My expertise allows me to practice all over the world. I love what I do and I am awesome at it.
- I am a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Clinical NeuroPsychologist, & Holistic Practitioner.
- I am licensed since 2001
My extensive education, training, clinical research, publications, and clinical skills are true indicators of the profound and dedicated importance that I place on deep social and individual healing. I respect any “therapist” who wants to help people, but know that the highest level of training and expertise of doctoral and post-doctoral credentials is absolutely necessary.
The typical “therapist” obtained only a Masters degree, very little therapeutic training, and lacked the ambition and dedication to train for decades in extensive specialized therapeutic approaches and specialized patient populations before they started seeing clients. The typical “therapist”, however, well intended, can not do justice to human complexity and the unique history and patterns of the individual personality.
- Bachelors of Arts in Psychology and PsychoBiology–University of Miami (UM)
- Masters of Science in Clinical Psychology– Nova Southeastern University (NSU)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Clinical Psychology and NeuroPsychology– Nova Southeastern University
- Pre-Doctoral Externships: **UM–Behavioral Medicine & Health Psychology–PsychoNeuroImmunology**
- Doctoral Externships: NSU Mental Health Center Traumatic Stress Program **Brain Injury Rehabilitation Program & NeuroPsychological Assessment Center ** NSU Community Mental Health Center Program for Adult Psychotherapy Services ** Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center – Behavioral Health, Clinical Psychology & NeuroPsychology departments.
- Residency: Clinical Psychology, NeuroPsychology, & Neurology–New Jersey Veterans Affairs Medical Centers & Cornell Medical Teaching Hospitals New York-Presbyterian
- Post Doctoral Fellowship: University of Florida—Department of Clinical & Health Psychology at Shands Health Science Center in the Pediatric & Child division.
- Post Doctoral Fellowship: University of Florida—College of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Adult & Geriatric division, **Gainesville Veterans Affairs Medical Center**McKnight Brain Institute **Adult and Geriatric division at Shands Teaching Hospital & Health Science Center.
Basics of My Practice and Philosophy
We are in the New Era of medicine, mental health, and healing. Today, instead of holding the old limiting view of the brain and body as only a biological machine, awesome scientists, doctors, and healers know MindBody is a vast energetic network where spirit, matter, and Power intersect–linking these energy centers to heal illness and emotional suffering.
- I have been conducting psychological (personality & emotional) evaluations and neuropsychological (brain-behavior-neuroscience) evaluations for 2 decades.
- I have been conducting psychotherapy for 2 decades.
- I am highly trained in various psychological theories and paradigms.
- I utilize a generalist and specialist approach that is individual-centric and focuses on your whole Being of Brain+Mind+Emotions+Body+Soul.
- I am a practitioner of both Western medicine therapeutic modalities and Eastern medicine therapeutic modalities.
- My practice and approach is Holistic & Integrated—MindBody connection and its relationship to healing physical and psychological illness.
- I do not use the Western model and categorize you as a psychiatric disorder.
- I treat you as a person not a diagnosis. Diagnosis refers to a pattern not a person. I look beyond labeling and treat individuals as unique.
- I view psychological challenges as human, common with everyone in varying degrees, and presenting at different times during and part of life’s journey of challenges that we all experience.
- I help individuals get to the root causes of their problems through conscious awareness, where you can achieve real change, not just temporary gains.
- I also provide solution focused therapies for the the relief of symptoms.
I am educated, trained, and experienced with Child/Pediatrics, Adolescents, Adult, and Geriatric assessments and clinical psychotherapy across the Life-Span.
Ψ I am currently accepting new patients who are at least 18-years or older.
I Learn for You. So, that I can be the best doctor for you.
I actively continue my ongoing education from 40-educational credits to 60- educational credits per year.
I remain actively involved in continued education that includes, **Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy, **Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School** Veterans Affairs Medical Centers **The National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine, **Padmacahaya International Institute for Inner Study.
My knowledge and clinical practices exponentially advanced with continued research and study, and Western medicines’ acceptance of scientific driven evidence-based complimentary Mind-Body holistic integrative modalities with the origins found in ancient Eastern Medicine and Eastern Psychology . These modalities include: Meditation, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MSBR), Mindfulness Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (MCBT), Yogic, et cetera for the prevention, intervention, and for the promotion of MindBody wellness.
Ancient Eastern modalities have science driven results that demonstrate overwhelming health benefits for psychological well-being, chronic illness, immune system functioning, pain, depression, anxiety, trauma, substance recovery, somatization, stress, brain improvement, and so many more benefits. Scientific research is booming.
- I have multiple publications in scientific journals, authored scientific book chapters, developed and published psychological tests, lecturer/teaching, and presented my research at National and International conferences.
- I am a respected doctor, senior level psychotherapist, clinical researcher, and spiritual practitioner.
- I am a proud mom of 2 sons.
- I have earned and received accolades that include the following: **Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare **Who’s Who of American Women**Who’s Who in America** Phi Beta Kappa, Honors in Liberal Scholarship**Phi Kappa Phi, Honors in Scholastic Achievement**Phi Theta Kappa, Honors in the Arts and Sciences**Psi Chi, Honors in Psychology**Golden Key, Honors in Academic Achievement**Phi Kappa Phi’s National Fellowship Competition**Golden Key’s National Fellowship Competition.
Thank you for visiting my page
May All Sentient Beings have Happiness and the causes of Happiness
I will be honored to know you, gain your trust, and help you on “The Path” to your badass success.
Feel free to ask me questions, just email to set up a Free 15-minute telephone consultation.